Sunday, January 9, 2011

First Day of School?


Photo courtesy of Holley Booze

So tomorrow was supposed to be my first day of student teaching. Unfortunately the weather was not on my side. We finally joined the east coast, and were given mountains of snow throughout the day, with more expected tomorrow. In other words, SNOW DAY!

While I was really looking forward to going to school, I will somehow find the silver lining in this situation. And the silver lining is this: I will get to enjoy snow days for the rest of my life! While my other working friends have to dig out their cars and slide to work in the morning, I get to cuddle up on the couch and watch a couple of movies. My CT (cooperating teacher) wished for the snow day so she would have more time to grade papers, and luckily, I don't have to worry about that quite yet. Fortunately for her though, chances are good that on our next snow day, I will be the one with the papers to grade!

Tomorrow would actually be a great day for me to get some work done around the house, and/or start planning for this coming semester...but we'll see how I feel about that in the morning!

1 comment:

  1. I found myself laughing a bit when I read this post. The first two snow days of the year were just phenomenal. I cleaned my apartment, deep conditioned my hair, made a fancy dinner, followed by deliciously nutty brownies. I really thought I was onto something when I chose the profession of teaching...

    Now onto the reality of snow days! I spent all day yesterday reconfiguring my lesson plans for all of my classes so that we could fit everything in... then I see "Lincoln Public Schools Canceled" scroll along the bottom of the screen (surprisingly I noticed it even though I was intently watching Wheel of Fortune). UGH... I had to throw everything into the trash and start over again with remapping out my lesson plans. Snow days are nice to sleep in (if we consider 8:30 sleeping in these days...) and it gives us the chance to reorganize and take a breather... but realistically, we are just as busy revamping everything since we didn't get to teach for two whole days. I assumed we would just bump everything down a day, but thats not really an option with the bloated curriculum we are given... in addition to state testing, registration, shortened PLC days, pep rallys... and on and on and on...

    Hope you got to enjoy at least a little bit of your first real snow days as a teacher. I am finally sitting down to do nothing and I will enjoy the feeling of boredom!

    ReplyDelete