Wednesday, January 12, 2011

First Day of School...Take 3


At long last I had my first day of school. Those two snow days were great, don't get me wrong, but it was nice to feel like a real person today, instead of the bum I was for the past two days.

As any of my former roommates can attest, I struggle getting up and out the door on time in the mornings. I snooze. And not just the five or ten minute snooze, oh no, I am the snooze for half an hour, and then squeeze out five more minutes kind of person. Every morning I find myself rationalizing, "I have ten more minutes, right? I mean I don't really have to have breakfast...I mean, I know I set my alarm this early last night for a reason...but I must have been crazy. Night time Amy doesn't realize the importance of these next ten minutes!" and on, and on. Last night I vowed that this would not happen today. I had a lot to do to prepare this morning, not to mention I needed time to scrape and warm up my car, and plenty of driving time so I could be early on my first day. In order to trick morning Amy into compliance, I set my alarm a half an hour early, and told myself that I had to be ready NO LATER than ten to seven. Obviously I was not completely ready at ten to seven, but I started my car, and had ten minutes to finish packing my lunch and collecting all my bags. I left my house at exactly 7 o'clock and was ten minutes early to class! We shall see how long this will last...my guess is that I will be running late, possibly skipping breakfast tomorrow morning.

While I know my morning routine is super interesting, most you are probably wondering how class actually went. (And by most of you I mean my grandma...) Well Grandma, I really just observed today. I do have my own school email account, laptop, parking pass, and a key fob coming tomorrow. I got to meet a lot of the other teachers, and we discussed the new show Million Dollar Drop during lunch. Very intellectual, I know. I really like all of the other teachers, as well as the students in my classes. Everyone seems super friendly. A fun fact I learned today is that there is an unwritten rule at my school; no homework on Wednesdays, and no tests on Thursdays. Why, you may ask? Well, because although this is a public school, some students have church on Wednesday nights, and therefore, no time for homework and/or studying. Despite my heavy sarcasm, I do understand. I had church on Wednesday nights in high school...but it just seems odd to have this rule in a public school. Ah well, welcome to a small town. I'll just have to get used to it sometime!

And on the bright side, it means I will never have anything to grade on Thursday nights...so nothing will interrupt Grey's.  :)




 

1 comment:

  1. hi amy!! thanks for your sweet comment on my blog the other day- i was so happy when i realized it was you and found your new spot here! exciting. you will be such an amazing teacher!!

    ps. you mentioned being in a small town.. where are you?

    ReplyDelete