Friday, September 23, 2011

Turns out, I am BAD at blogging

This isn't even half of my books


I did teach after my last blog post. I actually had a lot of funny stories too. Most school days I would think of something good to post...but then I never got around to it. This is a side effect of being a procrastinator. But, I am not a quitter, so here I am...eight months later.

In those eight months I figured out that I am a darn good teacher, and that I absolutely LOVE teaching. I also figured out that being good + loving it + successfully graduating college = not always getting a job. Yup. I am one of lucky college graduates living at home without a job. This created quite a mixture of emotions including, but not limited to: denial, frantic searching, laziness, apathy, depression, and failure. Sounds pretty bad, I know, but this story has an upside. The upside is that I took a hard look at my life, realized that even though this is NOT what I was expecting when I reached the ripe old age of 23, it is an experience that I can learn from...in other words, get a job; any job.

And I have. One catch: it is in Arizona.

So, in a few weeks time, I will be packing up my much loved, 10 year-old car and driving 22 hours into my new life...with a lot less stuff. I drive a Corolla. My bed will not fit. Nor will the entirety of my library. (So far I think I own close to 250 books).

I am ecstatic. This is going to be an adventure. I am also lucky that I happen to like ramen noodles. So now I have a couple of weeks to seriously downsize my crap, go to the doctor, dentist, hair salon, and get my car checked out...so I'm not stranded in the desert.

My life is veering a bit off the track that I thought it was on, but I am willing to make some detours. For now I am a teacher without a school. And an adult without a real bed. (And also without a couch in the living room, since that is being commandeered as my "bed" [Although technically it is neither a couch or a bed, it is a futon. Which is what I get for wishing I could go back to college; the college kid's two for the price of one].).

Here's to revising expectations!



P.S. On a totally unrelated note I found a blog that I am in *love* with. I wish I was as funny as she is. You should check her out!

No comments:

Post a Comment